Saturday, October 11, 2014

Crickets!

I took a morning walk through my backyard to see what changes were happening.....


The ole man of the garden was still standing....our cat has been seen knocking him and another object over....so I took this as a good sign.....













The Sunflowers all have their heads down...the seeds aren't quite ready yet.....

 It won't be long before the birds will be gathering the seeds.....


Still have a few flowers blooming....
 The last of my Coneflowers......

As I was walking around I could hear the Crickets singing!  I was amazed at how loud the sound was.

Then I saw a Cricket!

I thought wow...you can really sing!    But then as I walked closer there was this movement and the singing stopped!   So I waited for a minute and then.......

A Cricket home....they came crawling out of....

"Early arrival of crickets on the hearth means an early winter"




"The Chirping of a cricket brings good luck to all that hear."


"If a cricket suddenly stops chirping, danger is close by"


"Killing a cricket, even if you killed it by accident is very, very bad luck, so you had better not use them for fishing."


"The frequency of chirping varies according to temperature. To get a rough estimate of the temperature in degrees fahrenheit, count the number of chirps in 15 seconds and then add 37.  The number you get will be an approximation of the outside temperature."

The males are the "singers'

He rubs a scraper (a sharp ridge on his wing) against a series of wrinkles, or "files" on the other wing.  The tone of the chirping depends upon the distance between the wrinkles.








The reason we usually begin hearing the chirping in late August into fall is because of the life cycle of the cricket and He has finally reached the adult stage by late summer...that is when he has finally gown his wings.

Reasons he chirps!  Maybe he is courting and calling to attract a female, behaving aggressively during the encounter of another male, sounding a danger alert....

My encounter was surprising....I didn't know I had so many in the yard...My grandkids always love to rescue the crickets from the pool!  They would have loved it this morning....LOL.....

Well this has been the "Bugs" part of my blog....hope it wasn't to scary...although this the season for scary!   LOL    Have a good day.  And enjoy the singing of the Crickets!


No comments:

Post a Comment