Friday, May 30, 2014

Yoctangee after the Feast and the Storm!

I hadn't gotten back down to the park until today.  My husband fell and fractured his ankle and have been taking care of him...but today I was able to sneak down to the park while out getting his medication...

The storm we had really filled the lake!

Picture of Gazebo from across the lake.....
The Park bridge......



I noticed the stones missing on the left side of the bridge...I don't know what happened...but
They are in a pile ...maybe they are getting ready to due some repairs...not sure but will update you when I find out....
This is the other side view of bridge...both sides have the stones missing....


I noticed how quite it was...no ducks on the lake...I went looking for the Swans...was wondering how they were after the Feast and Storm.  I walked over the the South nest first...the eggs were still in the nest and the poor Mallard was still sitting on her nest!






I was surprised to still see the unhatched eggs in the nest....




This was not a pretty sight!

So I went in search of the Swans and ducks!

Found these Mallards all curled up sleeping...I think they were exhausted from the Feast and the storm.



Saw this Squirrel just sitting in the grass.  She didn't move, just watched me take her picture and walk on by....

This turtle was sunning himself ....

And then I noticed something move in the mix of branches floating in the lake...look close...a baby turtle!  He looks just like the ones I use to have as a child...


Several dragonflies were flying around also....


But I still hadn't seen the Swans...the single Swan was sitting in his usual place ....

There is a new attraction in the park now!  While the Feast was going on there was a man that carved using a power saw....You've seen them...amazing...
Well there was a tree that was cut down this spring....
This is the stump in early April.....

This is what I found today!  How wonderful of the person to do this wonderful turtle out of the ugly stump!  I wish I could thank him...Would be wonderful to turn all the stumps into something so fun!

I just love this!  If you get a chance be sure to drive by and see it...The park people need to clean up around it...maybe a flower bed around him.....


Well still no Swans...I was getting worried...so I walked over to the Y where the North nest is....and there is where I found the North family....only there were just 3 babies now....


Is sad but the bigger they get the better chance they have of surviving to adulthood....

But the other Swan family was not found....If their one baby didn't make it through the Feast, the attack from the other swan or the storm.... I figured that the South Swans left.  I will double check again but I walked all around the lake....

The other ducks were just curled up resting under the trees by the lake...

It has been a stressful couple of days for wildlife in the park.....

Well it is almost June!  Hoping for warm weather! 

 I will keep my eyes open to new and exciting things to share with you.....
Till next time! Happy Summer Time!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment