Saturday, May 17, 2014

No new babies....

I took off to the park this morning to see if the South couple had their babies hatch...no she is still sitting on the nest.....



Her mate was over to the side grooming himself...getting ready for a day of keeping the bigger ducks away from his family.....

As I was walking along the lake......



I spotted a white spot out on the lake......

                                       Hooded Merganser!

He and his mate were out there swimming around....



The male is so striking....this is his non-breeding look...when in breeding that white  crest is up and beautiful!

So I went looking for the North family and their babies......

I walked past the Single Swan...in the usually place I always see him/her in...


Then I found the North family.....


They were showing me how good they had become after their lesson the other day!






They sure have mastered how to do it....."upending or tipping up"










Then I figured Mom thought they were showing off to much and gathered them up and took them to the other side of the lake.



Looked like this was was ready for a nap....
 Mom keeping a close eye on her young ones.


Meanwhile, Papa was busy with his task of chasing the geese away......




I looked for the Mallard duck and her babies but didn't see them...but they could have been curled up somewhere and I didn't have time to go looking...on my way back to the car I did spot the American Coot who seems to like our park.....

On the left side of the Coot is something on the rocks...I couldn't figure out what it was....?????


 In this picture it looks like a turtle!  A very big one.....


If you look close you can see the foot and head....If anyone knows what kind of turtle this is let me know!


                                         American Coot.


View looking south from the bridge.....

View looking north from the bridge....


One of my favorite duck couples in the park....all snuggled up......


I am going up north and guess I will miss the birth of the other Cygnets.....sorry...but will get pictures of them when I get back and hope they survive the Feast.


Here's hoping that the weather turns warmer...and sunnier ... and visit the parks...

No comments:

Post a Comment