Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Blue Jay and the Peanuts!


I have several Blue Jays that love peanuts!  They use to just come flying into the tree and make a lot of noise and look the situation over and then fly off...One day I put out some peanuts....and waited....and finally the Blue Jay discovered them.
At first he was very fast and I could never get a picture of him taking them....


This is what it would look like....after a while he was more cautious...first the roof top on the neighbors house

Then into the Dogwood tree....
 
Jumping from limb to limb...
Then onto the tray with the wonderful peanuts!!!!

It was known as the grab and gone!
No matter how quick I was trying to get a picture, he was faster....

Then one day he stopped and picked the best peanut he could find....


I thought he had gotten use to me sitting there waiting....but then one day...he was acting very strange....like he had a split personality...One minute he flew in and grab the nut and was gone and the next he was taking his time....


Well I found out that it wasn't the same Blue Jay...but two different ones....One day they were there together with their baby....I guess to show him where the peanuts were......

Of course I can't tell the sex so I don't know if it was the male or female that posed for me for some pictures...















After cracking the peanut!
 









Sometimes he hides them....








He really loves his peanuts.







I have had a Titmouse take one after seeing the Blue Jay grab one.


Sorry so blurry but you can see the peanut....I watched the Titmouse and he dropped more than he got to eat because of the size.  The Grackle has taken some...but it seems like the Blue Jay has the choice of them.

I have wondered if the Cardinals have taken any....they come and watch but I haven't seen them take any..This female was very interested this morning....

But the Blue Jay never leaves any and if any other bird wants one they have to do like the Titmouse did...Grab one right after the Blue Jay leaves......

I have gone around the yard now singing "Found a Peanut"....LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment