Friday, May 17, 2013

Where the Warblers are!

The Biggest Week in American Birding happens in May.  My sister and I just got back from northwest Ohio, the Warbler Capital of the world!  This was our third year to go up for the week-end to see the Warblers!  If you enjoy the outdoors and nature, this is one of the places to go.  The scenery is beautiful.

The Magee Marsh Boardwalk is very easy for anyone to do.  It is flat and wide.  The birds are 
flying around in the trees and sometimes will fly right in front of you.  The first time, I felt like there was someone behind a tree waiting for people to walk by and would then let all these birds go!  The people are so nice and will help you ID the birds and with me, it is almost every bird!  My sister is looking at one and asking me if I am getting a picture and I am looking in another direction trying to get the picture of another bird...LOL...

This year they opened a new are to walk....

At the beginning of this trail is where we saw the Great Horned Owl nest.  I was lucky enough to get this picture of one of the babies.
These next few pictures will be what we saw along the Magee Marsh Boardwalk.



There was a birder that had set up their scope for people to see the Whip-poor-Will and she used my IPhone to take a picture for me....
She did a great job...later you will see how I tried...need to practice that..I got this picture with 
my camera of this cute guy!

We also love Metzger Marsh, which is next to Magee Marsh...we drove down the road and stopped along and  here are some Great Egrets hiding behind the tall grass.
This morning there was a group of Trumpeter Swans.


The one thing you need to have is binoculars.  You don't want to miss anything.
Park in the parking lot and there is a nice area to walk down with Lake Erie on one side and the swamp area on the other...and in between are birds, there was a den of foxes (we didn't get to see them but others told us where they were) .


In this tree on the left, there was a Great Horned Owl.  Some other birders had a scope on him.

This was my first time to use my Iphone to take a picture through their scope of the Owl.
He is hidden behind the trunk in the middle of this picture, if you look closely.

This is the picture I got with my camera after I was able to find him.
This is his back.
There were several different kinds of Swallows flying around this area.  It was amazing...they would pass right over your head or by your side and never touched you (or poop)  They were just getting these tiny bugs.



In the trees were several kinds of Warblers...was an amazing experience.
There is a walkway through the wooded area...















Driving along the road at Magee Marsh, you have to give right of way to the Canadian Geese and their babies....they are along the road to the parking lot of Magee Marsh.



Even in the parking lot, there was a Woodcock nest!
Was she ever hard to find...


The area was roped off.  An other area of the parking lot was roped off because of an Eagle nest.  We never got to see them but the Eagles are everywhere...One day we saw 9.  Along Route 2 there is a tree that they sit in .....


We saw them flying and one evening as we were leaving Magee Marsh we got to watch this one soaring over us (close too) and landed in this tree very close to us!

The tree on right second from the road....


He is giving us the eyeball here...We figured he was hunting for dinner for his family. It was very exciting!

And of course the traditional orange sherbet swirl!  My sister is holding a medium cone! (any it was cold that day)...I remembered how large they are and asked for a small.....LOL





 
Well mine started this slide and had to get a cup to save it! And that was a SMALL!  It is the best orange sherbet I have ever had....

We also had a great view from our lodge room...We stayed at the Maumee Bay State Park Lodge....


We enjoyed staying here..they have a nice resturant and had weddings going on ....we got to watch the guests arrive and picture taking with Bride...while we were having dinner.  
This is my first installment of our adventure....be patient with me...I took over 1400 pictures...so I want to try and give you the best...so the second chapter will be soon!


Just taking a quick break before the next chapter in the adventure of Where the Warblers are.....

No comments:

Post a Comment