Wednesday, August 15, 2012

July 2012

Wow, it has been a very busy past few week.  I haven't had time to update my blog and I do apologize.  Hopefully things are starting to come down as the end of summer is just around the corner.

Back in July, we went to the Hoover Reservoir.  This was a new place for us.  Trying to get out of the rut of Deer Creek and Canal Rd. (our favorite places).  We took a walk at the Mud Hen Marsh and found lots of interesting things.
These mating Cabbage Whites.  There have been allot of these butterflies this year.
Then while I was taking pictures of the wildflowers.....


 Swamp Milkweed


                                                 Blue Vervain
Ironweed (I think)
At first I thought it was a leaf stuck to this stem, but the more I looked at it, I thought it might be a Butterfly.  I took a picture and when I looked at it on the computer, it is a butterfly or moth of some kind.  I haven't been able to ID it yet.  

 We saw allot of Blue Herons.  They are so beautiful and was able to get some good pictures of them.  We feel that our day isn't complete unless we see at least one.
 We scared this off and was able to get him in flight.
This was a Swan and Heron.
This  Turkey Vulture was sunning himself.
 The water level was very low as you can see in these two pictures.

 A Pearl  Crescent and a Northern Crescent
 I think this little guy is a Zabulon Skipper.  If I am wrong please let me know.
 One of my favorites, the Common Buckeye.  Have seen allot of these out in the countryside too.

This Field Thistle has allot of action going on. Bumble Bee, a Skipper, and other flying bugs.  They all seemed to love the Thistle.  
 This beautiful Indigo Bunting was singing to us as we walked down the trail.  We don't know if he was warning the other birds or just happy to see us!
 Taking a rest stop! Notice the woods behind her...we walked around to them and as we were going by I heard a noise.  Looked in and a family of wild Turkeys were making a quick getaway!!!!!

If you look closely you can see one of them.
There were dragonflies flying around and this one posed for me.....Eastern Amberwing.














This rabbit nearly scared us hopping our of the bushes.

 Then as we were getting ready to drive home, this Red-headed Woodpecker flew out of no where and landed on the pole....He let me take several pictures of him before he flew off.  They are so amazing...that red head and the black and white...





Giving me a profile......
That was our adventure to Hoover Reservoir....on the way home we stopped at Gahanna Woods and Charlies Pond and Canal Rd.  but that I will save for the next blog adventure....Hope you enjoyed the trip!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment