Saturday, August 31, 2013

Praying Mantis waiting for dinner!

The last day of August and summer.  I took a walk through my garden and  found a few things that brighten my day.  This is the saddest part of summer.  It hasn't been the best year for butterflies.  Last year my butterfly bush was covered.  This year I saw lots of Cabbage White....


I saw four flying around.  Then I found this wonderful spider!
 This is a Black & Yellow Garden Spider.  A female because they are bigger than the male.  I love the zig-zag white silk that she decorates her nest with.  I went back out to check to see if she had any suitors but alas I found none....but she still has time to mate.

My Pond frogs were out sunning themselves.... I have three but only saw these two today.

I love my pond frogs!

On around I walked and looked......
Another Cicada shell.  I still get a thrill out of finding them.....LOL

Then I stopped at the butterfly bush hoping for something exciting.....and there she was....a Praying Mantis 
She is just hanging there under the flower, just waiting for dinner to land.
It wasn't long when I saw the Silver-spotted Skipper land and I could see her get ready.....
Look at the next few pictures as the Skipper gets close to the Praying Mantis....

 She slowly changes her position to get ready for the attack...

 Almost ready to grab the Skipper........

When off the Skipper flew......













And back to watching and waiting for the next victim....

She didn't have long to wait when a Cabbage White landed....I thought she is going to have dinner now.....





They are really close....She is getting in position.....I just knew she was going to get the White......









So close....I thought she would jump on the White any minute!

But the White moved again and then flew off to another flower blossom....
No dinner for the Praying Mantis.....

The bush in the bottom left is the Butterfly bush that this drama took place.  As you can see my garden is showing the signs of summers end...

Can't wait till Fall.....Love the changing colors of the leaves on the trees...hope to have some good pictures for you soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment