Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Blue Heron

 The Winter of 2011 was allot colder than we have had this year.  These poor
Herons were at Paint Creek, Ohio the end of January 2011.  My sister and I counted about 20 spread out across the frozen lake with small fishing holes.

I had never seen this before and found it really interesting to watch them as they waited and watched thru the ice for a fish.









 In the Spring we found a nesting area for the Herons.
They are like a community with many nests in the same tree.
 There are about 5 trees that have nests in them.












Here as spring turned to Summer you can see the babies.  I don't know how they don't fall out of the nest.



 We were hiking at Rock Fork Lake, Ohio when we saw this one high in the top of a tree.  He was sunning himself.  We watched him for quite a while.  We couldn't decide if he had had a bath and was drying his wings or just enjoying the warm sunshine.
This is at Rocky Fork over by the damn and where there use to be a Mill. This is a baby with a parent.  The other parent was over on the bank.  This is one of my favorite pictures.



This handsome fellow was at Paint Creek down from the damn. He is just hanging out waiting for the catch of the day.

We went up to Magee's Marsh along Lake Erie in May, 2011 and found some beautiful Herons there.
 They wouldn't let us get to close as we were walking along the shore line. This gave me a great opportunity to get some action pictures.

I got a couple of good ones.
We are planning on another trip up to Magee's Marsh in May. It is the migration time for Warblers...and lots of other things.







This one was hiding in the grasses on Canal Rd. just outside of Circleville, Oh.
We almost didn't see him, he blended in beautifully.

But I don't have to travel far to see a Blue Heron, they visit our City Park on a regular basis.


 This one I caught on my camera last spring.  There is a Mallard mom and her babies behind him.
 I think he was trying to ignore me and my camera.  He isn't afraid like the ones out in the woods and lakes. He must visit often and use to people.
He got on the bridge for a while.











Hope you enjoyed see the Blue Herons.  They are one of my favorites and always take their picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment